Saturday, December 24, 2022

Your Christmas Egret is Waiting

Merry Christmas, everyone. Here's a brave Christmas egret I saw yesterday. This was near the mall where I went to see the Christmastime shoppers. I had ramen at nearby Marugen, I had tonkotsu (pork bone broth) ramen with extra onion. So good on a cold winter day.

I watched Frozen and Batman Returns for Christmas movies and only during my viewing of Batman Returns did I realise Selena Kyle and Elsa are actually pretty similar. We need to get these two together. What is it about Christmas that invites the liberated anti-heroine?

I don't have a lot of big expectations for Christmas this year. I really had my yen for it sated by the English club at my latest school. Introducing Christmas to those six 13 to 14 year old students was such a pleasure. Listening to them recite "A Visit from Saint Nicholas" and hearing the reverence they have for Santa was just an endless delight. I also showed Mickey's Christmas Carol to them and to the third year classes. There's something really satisfying about seeing a group of too-cool-for-school fifteen year-olds stunned to silence by Peg Leg Pete laughing over Scrooge McDuck in a fiery grave. You know, Disney's so popular in Japan, it amazes me hardly anyone's heard of Scrooge McDuck.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, everyone.

Twitter Sonnet #1653

A murder took the place of Banquo's ghost.
Amorphous time so quickly took the stairs.
A knife becometh not the gracious host.
And from the very stones a spirit stares.
Between the softened teeth a hardness grew.
A string of meat became a muscle test.
Above the tongue the mouth of sharks was new.
A row of heads became the noted best.
Returned to clouds, the snow advanced to storm.
A glowing nose disturbed the shrouds of night.
Beside the hearth, the elvish hearts are warm.
A peace pervades beyond the heat of sight.
The mythic cane arrived across the sea.
Presiding over all's a pencil tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment