Saturday, August 24, 2024

The Beer is Dear and Peerless Here

At the mall yesterday, I was surprised to see a whole bunch of imported beer. I never see imported beer at the supermarkets which led me to think Japan bans foreign beer. There's all the familiar foreign liquors--Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, Bacardi, Beefeater, etc. They even have highballs in cans. Highballs are so popular in Japan they've got what I assume is basically very watered down Jim Beam in beer sized cans. Why would they have all these and not imported beer too? I guess foreign beers just aren't popular.

I've been enjoying beer so much this summer I've started to wonder if my old dislike for the beverage has been banished forever. I think it's just that I like Japanese beer. I took the opportunity yesterday and bought a bottle of Budweiser (American), a bottle of Corona Extra (Mexican), a can of Krombacher (German), and a can of Guinness (Irish).

I don't think I've ever tried Bud so I guess it's a bit ironic that my first taste of the iconic American beer would be in Japan. My first thought with my first sip was, "This is really bland." I wondered if I'd caught Covid or some other disease reputed to kill taste buds. But, no. Out of curiosity, I googled "Budweiser bland" and found many professional and amateur testimonials to the brand's infamous watery flavourlessness. I can't imagine why that appeals to anyone. Maybe people are just seduced by the "King of Beers" label.

Next I tried the Corona, which I think I have had before. It tastes faintly of corn (I see now it does actually contain corn). It's not bad but a little weak for me.

Finally, I had the Krombacher. I got the Weizen, I see now I should've gotten the Pils if I wanted to try the most popular variety. The Weizen tasted a bit like spearmint to me so I guess my tongue failed me at last. The internet says it's supposed to taste like honey and banana. I couldn't get into it, I felt like I was drinking gum. What an injustice to spearmint. There must have been a time, centuries ago, when people could enjoy the spearmint flavour without thinking of gum.

I haven't had the Guinness yet. I do sort of fondly remember drinking that. I'm going to have it with some Irish whiskey to-night. But I'm thinking now, when it comes to beer, all I like are Asahi Dry and Sapporo Black Label.

No comments:

Post a Comment