Friday, September 07, 2007

One of the nice things about Veronica Mars was that it was filmed in San Diego and often locations were used that I could visit myself. Several episodes featured a diner with metal walls, porthole-like windows, and a sign that read "24 hours". I'm always looking for 24 hour places, so I was keen on checking this place out, and last night I finally did. My sister and I ate at Studio Diner--I had scrambled eggs, hash browns, and sourdough toast. The hash browns, in particular, were much better than Denny's, though I guess that's not so hard.

My sister and I also stopped at Mitsuwa, which wasn't far away, and I bought a big bottle of sake that came with a tokkuri (bottle) and two choko (little cups). I heated the tokkuri after washing the things and enjoyed some hot sake last night. Delicious.

Still working on the short story. It stands at 1,410 now, and the scope of the thing feels like it'll probably end up being between 6,000 and 7,000 words. Back when I was writing prose fiction regularly, I don't think I ever went as slowly as I seem to be going on this thing. An effect of time, I guess, though I don't know if it's because I'm out of practice or because I've gotten more thoughtful. I guess it wouldn't make any difference to the aliens from the Andromeda galaxy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment