Thursday, October 11, 2007

Death Note continues to be good. One of the things that I think often result in bad television is a lack of courage among the writers to write truly difficult situations for the characters, fearing that they won't know how to get the characters out of those situations and thus continue the series in a believable way. Not so with Death Note. Only eight episodes in, and every episode feels like the episode where Light's finally going to get caught, but he manages to pull out of it in an interesting and credible fashion. Good stuff.

I bought a copy of Caitlin R. Kiernan's novelisation of the new Beowulf movie, and I'm looking forward to reading it, but I couldn't resist starting Stephen Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You!)*. I fully expect Beowulf to be a better, more satisfying read, but sometimes I just need candy. I have to love the warning on the back of the book;

WANING!
Several reportages of illegal produced issues of this book from Glorious Peoples Republic of China stealing into bookstores. Do not! Buy only likely copies only authorized STEPHEN COLBER'S I AM AMERICA AND SO ARE YOU books like this one itself!
--Yours, U.S.A. Publisher


*The weird grammar of this title actually makes more sense when you read the introduction; "Bottom line: Read this book. Be me."

No comments:

Post a Comment