Wednesday, November 07, 2007

FireFox has a nifty spell-check feature now, putting red lines under words you type, exactly like Microsoft Word. Normally, I type my messages and entries first in Notepad, copy them to Word for a spell-check, then paste to the internets. I still do this, since Word's dictionary is better than FireFox's, but when I'm in a hurry, or when I didn't have Word on this computer, the browser's spell-check's nice to have. But its deficiencies are pretty interesting sometimes. To-day I found out FireFox doesn't know "homophobe." It suggested I change it to "homophone."

Since I had to be out of the house to-day, I walked to Barnes & Noble. I actually bought a book--the first edition hardcover of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was in the bargain section for seven dollars. I'd heard enough good things about the book I'd have felt foolish for passing it up, even though it could very well be years before I'm able to read it.

Usually when I buy a cheap book, I get this weird itch to buy another cheap book. Barnes & Noble has a cool assortment of classic works in hardback and I was tempted to get one of those. The strongest temptation was a big, twenty dollar book calling itself The Complete Illustrated Works of Oscar Wilde. It included illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley. I knew, no matter how nice that sounds, that I just couldn't justify spending twenty dollars on a bunch of stories I've already read, some of them more than once. But, looking through the book, I was hoping I'd find something that would make me feel good about not having it. Unfortunately, I found that something. The collection omits the preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't know how any self-respecting collection of Wilde's works can omit the greatest preface ever written.

Anyway. To colouring . . . It's weird how long this takes, huh?

Fiona Apple's so underrated;

I said, "Honey, I don't feel so good, don't feel justified. Come on put a little love into my void," -he said, "It's all in your head," and I said, "So's everything" - But he didn't get it - I thought he was a man but he was just a little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment