Sunday, June 15, 2008

I caught a bit of the recent Robin Hood series on BBC America while eating dinner last night. Apparently, this was Maid Marian;



No, that's not the actress who played Marian in her street clothes. That's Marian in costume. And that's the hair and makeup we're supposed to swallow, too. The outfit she was wearing last night was even more boring. Now, the old Robin Hood legends are themselves chock full of anachronisms accumulated from generations of modifications, much like the King Arthur legends, the best of which feature 15th or 16th century armour and weapons in roughly the 11th or 12th century. But, jeez, that's not an excuse to be lazy or . . . unimaginative. Robin Hood himself was wearing a sweater, and everyone had modern hairstyles. It wasn't even the self-conscious camp of Xena: Warrior Princess. I kept wanting to yell, "It's the Middle Ages, folks! Get in the spirit, at least! This is like trick-or-treating in shorts and t-shirt!"

I barely got any sleep last night. I spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling, but I managed to get up at 10:30am. Staying awake seems to be a much easier trick than sleeping. Hopefully the extreme difficulty I'm having concentrating on anything more than three seconds bodes well for my chances of falling asleep properly to-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment