Friday, August 29, 2008

Demonstrating the typical Republican tone deafness to irony, John McCain criticised Barack Obama for his inexperience and celebrity, then picks for a running mate the inexperienced, former beauty queen Sarah Palin who said that, "she's not out to judge anyone and has good friends who are gay, but that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment [to ban same sex marriage]." Which is kind of a distant cousin of the Dick Cheney philosophy that seems to make exceptions for personal acquaintances. In other words, it's the inability to see large groups of people as people. Not exactly ideal for a government official. Though in line with the sort of bobble head McCain ads were accusing Obama of being.

I listened to Obama's speech last night while colouring and thought it was pretty good, though it didn't contain anything new and I doubt it'll create any converts. Pro-lifer Sarah Palin, on the other hand, is bound to draw the Clinton supporters who seem to care more about whether a candidate has a vagina than about whether the candidate will allow American citizens power over their own vaginas.

Now that Comic-Con and jury duty's over, I can finally go back to my nocturnal schedule. I sort of failed this morning, getting up at 11:30am, but I'm definitely staying up late to-night. I still have a lot of work to catch up on, and some research to do for the next chapter. So I'd better get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment