Monday, August 04, 2008

I really miss having time to watch movies. I've had a copy of Lust, Caution for weeks now, and I had an ambition to finally watch it to-night since I'm a page ahead of schedule on my comic, but it looks like I'm going to have to get an oil change for my car to-day. I also need to shop for my sister's birthday present.

My sister was working outside the Comic-Con this year as some kind of secret agent for Disney, handing out cards with this url on them. Looks like something with Stan Lee. I was kind of amused a new Disney movie starring Kevin Costner opened last week and no-one noticed. I couldn't even hold the title in my brain. May your career now become as inert as your performances, Mr. Costner.

Last night I watched the new School Rumble OVA, which is designated episode 25 of the non-existent third season. How do they get away with these shenanigans in Japan? Could you imagine an American show just making episodes 25 and 26 of a season? Or showing episodes completely out of sequence like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Anyway, the School Rumble OVA was pretty good, and it was nice to see the story's being resolved, instead of the all too common never ending, never changing character conflicts of many other anime series. It's weird--one can kind of sense the season that wasn't in the episode. And I know it's not due to the manga the show's based on, as the show diverges quite a bit from the manga, which I don't mind at all. In this case, it was a good idea, I think, as what they did was demote the boring hero of the manga to a minor character and make the villain, Harima Kenji, the series hero. It made things a lot more interesting.

The show is a comedy of unrequited love as the characters undertake increasingly complicated and indirect methods of demonstrating their love to their respective objects of desire, who generally are doing the same thing for a different object of desire. Harima's in love with Tenma who's in love with Karasuma, who seems to be a completely blank slate, demonstrating passion for absolutely nothing except he has a slight fondness for curry. In the new OVA, he has something more of a personality, and we learn that he's been keeping his feelings from Tenma because he's terminally ill or something (it's a little vague), so he rejects her outright when she finally confesses her love to him. For which Harima kicks his ass. Mostly the show's really funny, but a good action sequence never hurts.

Yesterday was also the new Code Geass, episode seventeen of the second season, and it's nice to see the show's staying in the good quality lately.

Well, look, I have nothing particularly interesting to talk about without Comic-Con.

Er . . . I had some mead with my sister on Friday. I really love that stuff. It's a shame it doesn't keep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment