Wednesday, September 29, 2010

You Don't Have to Cook It

Twitter Sonnet #187

Shy thieves vie for noisy new jewellery.
False milks ruin things for a poor utter.
A soy river's lost in a brewery.
Marshmallow stars brighten any gutter.
Silk screens hide elegantly shaped oil.
Submarine merchants use scopes to decide.
Sun ravaged salad dressing burns soil.
Incoherent helicopters collide.
Obtuse vodka clouds the cocoanut orb.
A brutal breed of rum wrecks a melon.
Distilled cement's more than teeth can absorb.
Macbeth in ink of Ian McKellen.
Green grass is the bottom of sun ray's L.
Permanent trash can't penetrate chain mail.


I had trouble getting started to-day. This whole diurnal schedule is messing me up--I feel like I need to be outside. There's a little kid in me saying, "I want to play outside!" and a stern adult going, "No! You have to draw your comic." And then by the time I'm done, the sun's setting. Sigh.

I drove to Fry's a couple days ago on just the pretext of buying canned air. Hard to think of a flimsier sounding excuse, right? Though the stuff's actually really useful for dusting, and indispensable for cleaning computers. But I was reminded of how, before I started to do web comics, one of the things I liked to do was just drive around town, exploring. "Wandering" like James Stewart and Kim Novak in Vertigo. Ghosts of old habits are popping up now as this daytime schedule is looking like it's here to stay.

At the same time, I've had this strange feeling of metamorphosis. I opened my window to-day while working--I've always been a fiercely indoor person, yet now I like to feel the outdoors. I don't even like malls the way I used to. I can't take a lot of dairy anymore, and Monday it occurred to me my jaw ache was worse just after coffee, so I've cut back on caffeine a little bit.

My jaw does still ache a bit--my dentist gave me the same theory Arina and Bri did, that it's stress and I'm grinding my teeth without realising it. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I've actually gotten used to it somehow. I'm just tired of caring about it, and when I got tired of caring about it, it actually lessened quite a bit.

I almost bought the 1933 version of Alice in Wonderland at Fry's, but just couldn't do it, even though it was only ten dollars. I really only want to see it because I'm an Alice in Wonderland completist--I've heard it's actually not very good, despite the presence of Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, and W.C. Fields. When the hell are we going to get a proper adaptation of the Alice books? Film has been around for over a century already.

No comments:

Post a Comment