Friday, March 31, 2017

Echoes and Arachnids

Last night I read "BALLAD OF A CATAMITE REVOLVER", the new story by Caitlin R. Kiernan in the latest Sirenia Digest. It's a very nice cyberpunk noir vignette. A first person narrative told from the point of view of some kind of gangster making a trade with a glamorous, deadly woman during a, to say the least, experimental stage version of Echo and Narcissus, the story features Caitlin's wonderfully creative futuristic thug-speak. Clearly bearing the appreciable influence of David Bowie's Outside, the Coen Brothers' Miller's Crossing, and likely William Gibson in a more distant way, the lingo Caitlin crafts from her influences is ultimately, inimitably her own. A very nice work.

Here are some pictures I took at the beach a few days ago. I'm coming to the end of spring break during which I'd intended every day to get up before 11am but somehow usually awake around 12:30pm. I wasn't able to get myself anywhere, including the beach, much earlier than sunset.

I am naturally nocturnal. Oh, to have a life again where I could actually have that sleeping pattern. I don't seem to have much energy or mental acuity until at least two o'clock.

Finally, since I started this entry talking about the creator of Spyder Baxter, here's a lovely spider I saw on my bathroom wall about the size of a silver dollar:

No comments:

Post a Comment