Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Memories of Metal

Continuing my long, slow, rewatch of the MCU, I watched Iron Man 3 last night, the first time I'd seen it since it came out in 2013. In retrospect, it's certainly the weakest of the three. It completely lacks the chemistry between Tony and Pepper that was at the heart of the first two.

I did enjoy it. I liked the clever moments, when Tony figures stuff out and pulls out a surprise, like when the woman's chasing him through a kitchen and he improvises with some oil and a microwave.

Guy Pearce's villain isn't terribly interesting. Ben Kingsley is fun but the fake out doesn't quite make sense. I guess it's a wag the dog political plot that borrows from the Star Wars prequels and Watchmen but Pearce's character doesn't have the sensible motives of either Palpatine or Ozymandias.

I gather some people find Tony to be insufferable in this movie. I didn't mind him, I just missed the level of banter he had with Pepper in the first two films. The term "Girl Boss" is starting to get overused but that is the stereotype she settles into in this one. Tony's a dick but I don't need him to be a nice guy the way some people evidently do. I liked the panic attack angle.

Iron Man 3 is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment