Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Y Follow X?

I guess it's kind of inevitable the new X-Men'97 would pale in comparison to last week's. It wasn't really bad though it hardly reached the levels of excitement of "Remember It". "Lifedeath Part II" was also the first one not written or co-written by Beau DeMayo. Charley Feldman receives sole credit. Could this be blamed for some lack of momentum and particularly awkward lines?

We get two stories. We finally catch up with Professor X, who's in some distant part of the cosmos, getting ready to become an emperor, and we get a conclusion to the story about Storm losing her powers. The latter was the better story and I like the physical manifestation of a psychological demon. I wish her claustrophobia had been better established in the season, though.

I was so happy she got her original look back. It kind of makes sense as she was psychologically reclaiming herself. I know there are fans of the mohawk but it really doesn't fit her personality in my opinion.

The Professor X stuff, meanwhile, was pretty weak. I don't buy that he'd renounce all memory of earth just to get married. His line about Rudyard Kipling was really weird, calling him "a man of many burdens, none of them real." It was obviously a reference to "The White Man's Burden". Xavier ought have just said that. Why be so coy? Surely Kipling had one or two real burdens in his life, regardless of what you think of the poem. It makes me think "The White Man's Burden" is the only thing Feldman knows about Kipling.

X-Men'97 is available on Disney+.

No comments:

Post a Comment