Sunday, April 13, 2008

I got the new special edition DVD of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen last night. I'm looking forward to hearing Terry Gilliam's commentary track--his are always particularly good.

I watched the movie last night and I love it, but I can't help feeling sad watching it for a lot of reasons. For one thing, I think if one could point to a single movie to explain Gilliam's troubles with the Hollywood studios, it would be this extremely expensive box office flop. Which is sad not only because it's a good movie, but because it's a very sweet movie. It's about wanting to entertain this little girl and show her how stories and the fantastic ideas on the other side of existence make reality wonderful. And that's all the movie wanted to be; a great time, with the works. There's something fundamentally sad about audiences rejecting that.

It also makes me sort of sad because one might look at the movie as Brazil from further inside Sam Lowry's head. Somehow, seeing less of what you might presume is the bureaucratic nightmare reality actually makes it seem a lot more horrible. But that could be blamed entirely on my own imagination.

I'm spending a little birthday money, but not much, since I want to save a lot for Comic-Con. Not just for the Con admittance, but also for some bound books of my comics to give away at the Con from somewhere like lulu.com. Yep, I'm still trying. One of these days I'm going to figure out whether the gods like me or hate me for putting Comic-Con on my doorstep.

But, I did also finally buy the new Blade Runner DVD last night. Very much looking forward to watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment