Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Only Suspects in the Season

I got caught up on Only Murders in the Building yesterday, which had its second season finale on Tuesday. It was a better finale than the first season's, I thought, and this time I wasn't able to predict the killer. Maybe many people did, because there were clues, but I have no problem with that. The problem with the first season is that I solved the murder without even trying, it was just obvious. This time, there was a nice triple fake-out that made sense within the flow of the story and allowed Steve Martin and Martin Short to hilariously imitate slow motion footage.

I wish Shirley Maclaine had appeared in more than two episodes but I suspect she wasn't up for it, it seemed to me she was being fed her lines a couple of times.

I would have liked things to have gotten hotter and heavier between Selena Gomez and Cara Delevingne but Gomez really didn't seem into it. Maybe it was her normal droning line delivery but I never felt like romance was happening. It made Delevingne seem more obsessed, though, which kind of helped the finale.

The real breakout of the season, though, was Adina Verson as Tina Fey's assistant. Verson doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry! I hope she gets a lot more roles after this because she showed some good comedic timing and dramatic range.

The season ended with a really nice setup for the third season. I look forward to it. I hope it's released in fall or winter, though, because it's not as fun watching everyone in overcoats in scarves when I'm in the summer sweat box called my apartment.

Only Murders in the Building is available on Hulu in the US and Disney+ elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment