Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Targaryens in the House

Game of Thrones is back and it doesn't suck. House of the Dragon's first episode is pretty damned good, in fact. Showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik seem to understand what people liked about Game of Thrones--complex characters with understandable motives; storytelling that takes its time; beautiful costumes and locations; good performances and brutal action; borderline hardcore sex scenes. So far it's nailing everything.

It's still hard for me to see Matt Smith as anything but the Eleventh Doctor but now he's a really buff, draconian enforcer Eleventh Doctor. Seriously, the skinny poindexter somehow turned himself into Mr. Muscles.

He's definitely the standout on the show. His character, Prince Daemon, really is a dangerously smart strongman in the making. This show isn't going to treat its viewers like idiots and that alone makes me excited. But I'm a lifelong fan of mediaeval fantasy so there's quite a lot on this show that excites me by default.

Oh, I loved that joust tournament. We need more jousting in film. I loved the contrast between the ruthless brawling and the little princesses putting their pretty wreaths on the lances.

I also liked the slight redesign for the Iron Throne, which, from what I understand, is closer to the books. I'm eager to see more of this show.

House of the Dragon is available on HBOMax.

No comments:

Post a Comment