Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Through the Doors of Time

Last night I finally had time to read the newest Sirenia Digest, which is part two of Caitlin R. Kiernan's Living a Boy's Adventure Tale. It was good. Part of it continues the tense situation arising from a bad leg injury in prehistoric times. Other parts are interesting found text style things, reminding me of The Secret History of Twin Peaks. I particularly enjoyed a podcast Caitlin wrote with a host adept at the poetic stylings of Morning Zoo DJs. I haven't listened to many podcasts, I hope there really are some like that.

I'm really sleepy to-day after two nights of staying up too late. It's not exactly insomnia. Last night I just fell into a spiral of watching things. I watched an episode of The Boys on Amazon Prime and an episode of Spy Family on Netflix. So far Spy Family is much more interesting but The Boys has its good qualities. I'm in the middle of season two, struggling a little to stay interested. The Boys is good when it lampoons modern superhero movies but it gets really dumb when it tries to tackle politics. It aspires to be kind of a combination of Watchmen and Punisher but it's more like The Tick if it'd been written by Bernie Sanders zealots.

Spy Family is the latest craze among the junior high school students here in Japan. Like Kimetsu no Yaiba, I find it has surprising depths. Beneath its Mr. and Mrs Smith-ish premise is a real commentary on the interplay between intimacy and psychological distance that exists in Japanese households. It's not hard to see why young teenagers in particular love this series.

After that, I found myself watching Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and Smiths videos and then finally I started watching The Long Haul again. God, Diana Dors is just perfection in that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment