Sunday, January 06, 2008

By the way, if anyone's wondering how I take screenshots from DVDs for reviews like yesterday's, I use VLC Media Player, which is completely free. It's not good for much more than its ability to take screenshots--as a regular player, it's kind of crap. If it's a good player you're looking for, nothing beats the tweaked Media Player Classic included in the Combined Community Codec Pack, which is also free. But so far, VLC Media Player is the only free player I've found that takes screenshots.

I didn't do much else yesterday. I drove to a grocery store in La Jolla and bought stamps. I learned recently that Anne Rice actually lives in La Jolla now. Figures she'd abandon New Orleans for one of the most upscale neighbourhoods in the country now that she loves Jesus.

I thought about seeing Juno, but I was quite unprepared for the fact that a book of stamps apparently costs eight dollars and fifty cents. So I came back here and had some of the liquorice and rum I bought a couple nights ago. I have a sweet tooth this week, I have no clue where it came from. They always blindside me.

I might blame the rum for the dream I had, though it was probably more to do with the fact that I've been thinking of cutting my hair. I dreamed I was standing in front of my bathroom mirror, not just cutting my hair but also growing it in places. I realise now that I was modifying my hair as I would my Second Life avatar's. It will come to that one day, I expect.

There've been a number of weird dreams in my skull lately. When I was on the cruise, I dreamt I was watching a Christian propaganda safety video starring James Franco. The video seemed to be warning people against the dangers of some kind of large, metal building with a conveyor belt taking people through table saws and giant shears, dicing them up. The video was extremely graphic--it felt sort of like Red Asphalt. I was watching it with my family in the dream, I guess because I was with them on the cruise, and I remember my sister and I laughing at the video for how ridiculous and unnecessary it was, and my mother pretending to laugh, too, but then telling us in a very sober tone that we needed to look out for this kind of thing.

A few years ago, I wrote a short story about a girl who's visited in a dream by a dragon who gives her a mask which she puts on after waking up. It turns her into a berserker and she goes on a killing spree. A couple nights ago, I dreamt the dragon gave me the mask, and though I think I went around killing people like an animal, it feels like I spent most of my time drinking out of a pond--somehow the mask didn't get in the way, and I lapped up water from the pond with my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment