Monday, January 07, 2008

Once again, I didn't get anything done yesterday, but all week I'd promised myself I'd take the weekend off so I guess everything went according to plan.

Gods, what did I do yesterday . . . ? I'm trying hard to remember. Hmm. I guess it was another one of those days where I spent a lot of time brooding. That's the only way I can make sense of it.

I'll be working my wiki ways to-day. But first, I enjoyed this bit from the Wikipedia entry on will-o'-the-wisps;

An Irish version of the tale has a ne'er-do-well named Drunk Jack or Stingy Jack who makes a deal with the Devil; offering up his soul in exchange for payment of his pub tab. When the Devil comes to collect his due, Jack tricks him by making him climb a tree and then carving a cross underneath, preventing him from climbing down. In exchange for removing the cross, the Devil forgives Jack's debt. However, as no one as bad as Jack would ever be allowed into Heaven, Jack is forced upon his death to travel to Hell and ask for a place there. The Devil denies him entrance in revenge, but, as a boon, grants Jack an ember from the fires of Hell to light his way through the twilight world to which lost souls are forever condemned. Jack places it in a carved turnip to serve as a lantern.

No comments:

Post a Comment