Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I just had a happy little experience. Some of you might remember the angry neighbour who got on my case for the speeding he imagined I was doing last year. I hadn't heard from him since then except for one note--red marker ink on white paper--left on my car; "Slow down!"

To-day, as I was coming down the street, I noticed he was in his driveway, so I sped up from 15mph to 20mph (the speed limit's 25).

When I got out of my car, I immediately heard the big fellow yelling at me;

"Why don't you slow down?"

I paused a moment, knowing who it was, but still slightly surprised. I finally replied, "Will you stop sending me love letters if I do?"

"Wh-why don't you slow down?" he said again.

"I'd miss this dialogue! I feel like there's something really special between us," I said.

"I could hear your engine speed up when you went by."

I poured pathos into my voice; "I saw you and wanted you to notice me."

"You need to slow down! I'll tell your grandmother and your parents," he said.

"It's okay. You don't have to say it. I can see it in your eyes."

"You need to slow down!"

"It's okay," I said, like I was telling him it was okay to allow himself to cry.

He said, "Whatever, man," and turned away.

No comments:

Post a Comment