Saturday, January 10, 2009

Talk to the Stereotype

I'm two episodes into the first season of Battlestar Galactica. So far I mainly like it. I get irritated by the faux sloppy camerawork of the exterior shots, but the characters play off each other pretty well. When I watched the second episode last night, the president asked her young aide guy if her clothes looked nice and he said, "You look fine." She replied, in a pitying tone, "You don't know anything about women, do you?"

I know this was meant to develop how he's a young, inexperienced guy and she's ever so wise and adores him in the freshness of his youth or whatever. But I so wanted him to say, "How was your day? Fine? You don't know anything about daytime, do you?"

But again, mostly I'm liking it. I loved the chemistry between Starbuck and Gaius during the card game. He comes off as a guy who spends a lot of time looking at a bunch of different angles, and Starbuck with him comes off as regarding most of those angles as irrelevant. They're kind of perfectly matched--they both have big personalities, only hers feels more honest. There's a powerplay there and you genuinely don't know who's going to win.

To-day's had a lot of distractions, and now I need to go buy more tea, so that's all from me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment