Sunday, March 07, 2010

Movie War

I've just gotten back from my parents' house where I watched the first part of the Oscars. I have no desire to see any more. I wanted to leave from the hokey opening number--I suppose I may be the only one completely sick of Neil Patrick Harris now. But I can't be the only one who gets douche chills seeing a slow pan over actors lined up while dopey music plays.

Maybe I'd be more interested if I'd seen more of the movies nominated. I really do want to see The Hurt Locker.

Tim and I tried seeing Alice in Wonderland last night, only to find oceans of people accumulated around the two movie theatres we tried. I really didn't expect this kind of turnout somehow, but maybe I should've--it's getting the artsy people, the Johnny Depp people, probably the Twilight people looking for a void to fill, and everyone else waiting for mother media to regurgitate the next prescription into their throats.

In between movie theatres, driving in a rainstorm, a cop pulled me over under a freeway overpass. As I was digging around for my registration and proof of insurance, I tried to speak very politely to the guy but accidentally phrased my question, "Would you mind telling me what I did?" which I think can't fail to sound pushy even with the ultra-supplicant tone I'd affected. Fortunately, the guy was cool enough to just answer my question and forgo looking at my registration, as he could see it was going to take some digging.

He'd pulled me over because my license plate light was out. Yes, in the middle of a rainstorm at night, a cop pulled me over to tell me something on my car that many cars don't even have was not functioning. It's one of those things that make me think there was more to his initial motive.

Everything I've been hearing about the new Alice in Wonderland has ranged from lukewarm to lousy. Judging from the fact that it appears to be succeeding on the movie going audience, I've started pondering a series of cgi action films based on children's books. Maybe a Green Eggs and Ham movie where Sam-I-Am learns to believe in himself again after a desperate battle against hordes of green pigs and chickens. Maybe a movie where Goldilocks learns to have confidence in her own decisions after some initial resistance and later moral support from her new bear companions, just in time to face the Mongolian Empire.

But, hey, I haven't seen Alice in Wonderland, so what do I know.

Last night's tweets;

Man makes onions occur in burritos.
Some police won't hear of a car phone call.
Goodness, don't you touch licensed tomatoes.
But fair, outdoor warnings redeem us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment