Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Green Entity

To-day I've been hanging out with my new friend, the green lynx spider.



I came across it when I opened the front door this morning and found it bouncing around the front porch like a tumble weed, occasionally stopping to smash its face into the ground, as you'll see in the video;



Music is by Franz Liszt and I was rather surprised to find music so fitting--I didn't think I'd have anything to go with this spider's erratic alternating between completely still and weird frenzy. I'm not sure it knows how to walk properly. The Wikipedia entry says these spiders eat honey bees, and I did find it under the bee hive, though I marvel at how it knew to show up here. I've never seen one around before.

I got video and photos throughout the day, as it remained in the same little area for at least six hours until I was finally able to move it to an area with lower human traffic.





It's definitely one of the most beautiful spiders I've seen, and, of course, I've seen lots. Just before I saw the green lynx, I was tying my shoes when I spotted a very tiny daddy-long-legs and I thought to myself, "Ooooh! A baby daddy-long-legs!" And another part of me asked, "Wouldn't that be a long-legs who lives apart from the woman raising his child?" to which the first part of me responded, "Oh, shut up."

No comments:

Post a Comment