Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Your Bagel has Made You Valuable



I love this story about an English professor who started cursing out a barista for asking if she wanted butter or cheese on her bagel. In a follow up interview, Professor Rosenthal discussed Starbucks' "Orwellian" use of language to control people. I hate to say it, but I've known bitter, impotent, busy body college teachers like this. I can sort of understand, as it must suck going through all that schooling only to find yourself telling roomfuls of kids what they need to memorise in order to get the passing grades you need them to get. That's likely to drive a few people out of their minds. Or maybe I'm just too steeped in the filth of not having a problem saying I don't want butter or cheese on a bagel to see I've lost my soul in the process.

But these sorts of empty pissing contests are not limited to professors, of course. I hear people all the time refusing to say tall, grande, or venti with proud defiance, like the guy quoted in the second article who finds the Starbucks sizes to be "pretentious". No, you know what's pretentious? Pretending like it matters what Starbucks calls the sizes. I'd say, "Go read a book or something," except I guess the professor proves that doesn't help.

Here's some video of ducks asking questions;



Pretty tired to-day--I got up at 7am to take Amee to the airport. I went to bed at 11pm, but I couldn't get to sleep until 3am. So instead of working on my comic to-day, I just did some long overdue dusting.

By the way, instead of a lot of caterpillars lately, I've been seeing an extraordinary number of these butterflies;

No comments:

Post a Comment