Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Those Godlike Beings Known as Retail Employees

And the air conditioner's broken again. Great. I hope I'll be able to get some sleep to-night.

I've spent to-day looking for work. I dropped my Japanese class--no time or money for it, I realised. Anyway, I don't actually need it for my English degree. So I went around looking at what places were hiring, of course almost everywhere does applications online now. I remember that last time I was looking for work. I couldn't even get a job at Wal-Mart that time. Maybe because I don't have many references. I filled out just three applications to-day--it took an hour and a half to do that, which is of course much longer than it used to take when it was all done on paper. This is because of a long, stupid survey every place requires you to fill out, filled with questions like, "You are a perfectionist" with degrees of responses from Strongly Disagree and Strongly Agree. I hear that employers tend to throw out any with responses in between the extremes. These surveys seem to be protracted ways of writing "I am Hercules" or an equally absurd boast on applications.

I drove past a spot yesterday where there are usually people with signs begging for money. Yesterday there was a guy who just had a sign that said, "Life sucks." Yep.

Now I need to figure out how to do math again before my Astronomy lab to-morrow, which apparently involves a lot of math. I haven't had a math class since high school, around fifteen years ago. But it's just as well. It should help me prepare for when I take a math class next year, if I'm still able to go to school.

There's got to be a better way to get work. I wish I knew what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment