Sunday, August 12, 2012

Words are Flowing Out Like . . .

I've really got Doctor Who on my brain. I had five separate dreams last night, all involving Doctor Who in some way. I only remember two--in one of them, the tenth Doctor was trapped in some kind of hotel in which there was a courtyard on every floor with a different carnival of some kind. He ran into the eleventh Doctor and the two of them started trying to figure out how to escape. In another dream, I showed up to the astronomy lab I'm taking in the fall and found it was taught by Denholm Elliott. Only he slowly started transforming into a young Tom Baker, who was dressed in his fourth Doctor costume except he had a smaller blue bonnet.

I guess I was dreaming about Doctor Who because the last thing I did before I went to bed was look in on a conversation on Facebook between me, Amee, and her friend Patrick about how the old Doctor Who was more Sci-Fi and the new Who is more Fantasy. Patrick mentioned the greater amount of technobabble in the new series. I thought about how the famous multipurpose line "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" indicated the presence of technobabble in the old series as well, but I see it was actually only used in full twice.

The first time I remember hearing the term "technobabble" was in reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation, where, while generally reflecting unreal science or mechanics, it was at least generally comprehensible to people who knew something about the subjects. I kind of feel it's an injustice that one term lumps truly meaningless technological speak with speculative and imaginative technological speak. I've been reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea lately and one of the remarkable things about it is how detailed and imaginative all the technological information is.

I feel like a slug to-day, though not an unhappy slug. I had some wine last night, which always seems to give me the worst hangovers, but I slept nine hours, the result being a sort of entranced state with benevolent vibes. It's a groovy thing. I guess I'll go see about doing the many things I had planned for to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment