Thursday, February 01, 2024

A Tale of Two Trailers

Two trailers for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire were released a few days ago, one of them an "International Trailer". I suppose the other one would be a domestic trailer then, meant for playing only in U.S. cinemas, though of course anyone can watch either one on YouTube. It's kind of an interesting idea. The domestic trailer focuses more on nostalgia and more prominently features the original Ghostbusters cast while the international trailer focuses more on the plot.

I wish there weren't so many familiar faces in the movie. Paul Rudd just looks like Ant-Man and Finn Wolfhard just looks like Mike from Stranger Things, something the international trailer seems to deliberately emphasise with the music near the end of the trailer. With so many characters, I think there's a danger the film will feel unfocused. McKenna Grace kind of anchored Afterlife but she barely seems to be in these trailers.

Maybe it'll be a good movie, I'll certainly see it. Having watched the original Ghostbusters recently, I think the energy it has, of a few regular guys doing something bonkers and striking gold, works because of how close the filmmakers were to that experience in real life and how rebellious and punk the SNL alums were at the time. That's all stuff that would inevitably be killed by making the concept a franchise, which was kind of true even by the second film. I did like the cartoon show when I was a kid so maybe I can enjoy the new movie on that level.

No comments:

Post a Comment