Friday, February 23, 2024

And Now the Weather

Happy Twin Peaks Day, everyone. Of course, I have been watching the series again. I wonder how many times I've watched it through since I first saw it in high school, just shy of thirty years ago. I dozed off watching the third episode (fourth, counting the pilot) a few nights ago, the one with Laura's funeral. I can slip in and out of consciousness and still enjoy the pleasant company of each familiar scene. Ben Horne standing between Albert and Doc Hayward. Shelly recounting Leland throwing himself on the coffin. Doctor Jacobi in a hat and velvet cloak at the cemetery after dark. It's not even a David Lynch episode, neither written by nor directed by him but I can still dig it at this point.

I wonder if there's any chance of another season. There was that rumour about a project at Netflix codenamed "Wisteria" years ago. Lynch made that short film for Netflix about interrogating a monkey. It seemed like he was testing the waters, seeing how amenable Netflix would be to his shooting style. Behind the scenes footage showed him frustrated with studio interference during the third season but I don't think Paramount's going to let him make Twin Peaks anywhere else. I've wondered if he thought he could make a spin-off about Carrie Page somewhere else, if he thought he could plausibly say it's not connected to the Twin Peaks IP even though it obviously would be. I wonder if he's working on anything now. He separated from his wife, Emily Stofle, late last year and I read she wants sole custody of their twelve year old daughter. That's gotta be time consuming.

He does have an installation coming up in Milan, something called "A Thinking Room". Sounds like it could be like visiting the Black Lodge. Man, I wish I was in Italy.

X Sonnet #1820

The blinking sabre cat absorbed the grass.
When timeless swords would rust the soldiers wait.
Without a glance, tempestuous ghosts'll pass.
So Fluffy sets a slimy, writhing bait.
The rolling drum would flatten trees and shrubs.
Titanic storms were smashing times in fields.
With all the gowns and pretty traffic hubs
Imagination often lightly yields.
Imagine mental strength divides a word.
With marriage thoughts, you jiggle likely brains.
Above, consult the cream and iv'ry bird.
You'll find the words were naught but choc'late stains.
And so the show concludes with "coming soon".
The flashing screen would please a lucky loon.

No comments:

Post a Comment