Thursday, February 20, 2003

To-day seems to be a day for men wandering randomly in the middle of the road.

First one I saw was on a street running parallel to the 8 freeway. He was an old man wearing a baseball cap, and he was moving slowly, zombie-like shuffle, in my lane, towards my oncoming car.

He was waving his arms slowly in the air and he seemed to be yelling something. He wasn't looking at me though. His eyes didn't seem to be looking at anything I was capable of seeing.

Later on that same road was a gentlman in a wheelchair, and after him, a ways down, was a man standing contemplatively in the centre divide.

In another part of town, there was a couple of large, boyish mexican guys holding a boisterous conversation in the middle of the street. I had to swerve to avoid them.

I seriously thought for a moment that there'd been a riot in a nearby asylum. Who knows? Perhaps there has been.

...

Wrote for a very long time at the best Starbucks in town--I went through two grande lattes there.

It's the best Starbucks in town because it's one of the two that has the old machine, and of those two, it's the most comfortable and easiest to get to. I think word's gotten around because the place was filled with elderly italian men playing poker.

No comments:

Post a Comment