Monday, March 31, 2008

To-night I have to read Ben Jonson's The Masque of Blackness and twelve pages of something else left unidentified by the syllabus. I really ought to've gotten on this days ago, but my energies were elsewhere.

I didn't end up ordering Lost Highway online, and I'm glad I didn't because I picked it up at Fry's for twelve dollars. Never underestimate Fry's.

I sort of want to do a big, illustrated analysis of it, but, despite its notorious inscrutability, I think Lost Highway's actually been pretty thoroughly figured out. I'll almost certainly make icons, though.

Of course, I haven't even watched it yet, and I'm not sure I'll have time to-night. Last night, I watched part of Red Sonja, which I'd never seen. Mostly it's just incredibly cheesy, but it's kind of cute, too. And what the hell is up with Ennio Morricone doing the soundtrack? I mean, we may be seeing a gaggle of "priestesses" in negligee, holding their swords like picket signs when they're supposed to look like they're fighting to the death, but meanwhile there's top grade music happening.

I'm so glad I'm able to download movies for free now. It's even nicer when it comes to anime--I saw Haruhi Suzumiya at Fry's, and four episodes cost twenty two dollars. At the cheapest place in town. So I guess you can underestimate Fry's.

While eating dinner, I watched "The Cardboard Box" episode of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series because I read that a young Ciaran Hinds was in it. A line at the end struck me because it reminded me of a recent post by Elizabeth Bear about existentialism. From the original story;

"What is the meaning of it, Watson?" said Holmes solemnly as he laid down the paper. "What object is served by this circle of misery and violence and fear? It must tend to some end, or else our universe is ruled by chance, which is unthinkable. But what end? There is the great standing perennial problem to which human reason is as far from an answer as ever."

A Sherlock Holmes' work is never done.

So I'd better get to reading. Here're a few pictures from Second Life;


"Life under the sea is better than anything they got up there!"


She who covets pearls must beware of turtles.


I found this place when I did a search for "Ginza." It was quite creepy actually. The region was deathly quiet, I thought it was deserted, but then I realised there were people inside two of the buildings. I think they were . . . at work. Is this the future?


No comments:

Post a Comment