Tuesday, January 28, 2003

I went to see my friend Marty to-day--Marty is an English teacher at Santana High School.

Marty wasn't there, but I overheard an interesting conversation while I was waiting for him.

Near the school's entrance, a hall monitor/security type person was talking to a teenage boy on a small bicycle.

"Yeah, I was expelled from Rio Seco [another high school]," said the bicyclist.

"Why?" asked the Hall Monitor.

"Ah . . . I threw a desk at a teacher," the kid laughed, then explained, "Well this teacher was always sitting on people and getting away with it--she was like 400 pounds. All the faculty knew and didn't care. Anyway, she was sayin' she was gonna sit on me, and I got kind of pissed off. So I picked up a desk and threw it at her,"

Possibly the strangest conversation I've ever overheard.

...

Got going again on my novel on Monday. I wrote an outline for part seven and finished chapter 60.

I kinna re-organised the whole game plan, but not by much. It occurred to me that I'm prolly gonna wanna edit part 3 down to a much smaller size as it's disproportionately huge . . .

I started class to-day too--The Acorn Review. The class is basically the editorial staff of a school publication of student short stories, plays, artwork, and poetry. I thought it would be a useful experience. And I do enjoy being a critic.

After class, Trisa bought me dinner at Denny's, which was terribly nice of her.

The day was just plain good.

No comments:

Post a Comment