Friday, January 31, 2003

Tim bought Glamdring.

When I dropped by his house this evening, Tim, positively glowing, showed me his recent acquisition--an exact replica of Gandalf's sword, Glamdring, as seen in the movies.

Tim's purchased a number of swords but Glamdring is by far the finest of his collection, and not merely for its aesthetic and legendary value--the thing's expertly made, and full tang. The blade and hilt--all the way to the pommel--are all one piece of solid steel, wrapped in a leather grip at the handle. When he let me hold it, I felt like I was holding Gandalf's sword. I mean, it's it. I was awed.

So what was I doing at Tim's anyway, when I was supposed to be in class?

Well, at about an hour and a half through the English Composition class I'd just started to-day, I decided to drop it.

There're a couple reasons for this decision, but the primary one is this:

The teacher was the sort of teacher who fervently believes that the students are better off working together in groups.

Gods I hate that. Why can't I get more teachers who'll just blessedly lecture? What is this fixation with, "Okay, class, now get into groups of four and discuss," or, "cooperate,"

I don't wanna discuss! Most of my fellow students are clueless about what the teacher's saying--that's why they're students for the gods' sakes.

And I certainly don't wanna cooperate. I am not a team player. There is no "I" in "team", which is why "I" am not part of a "team".

All I want to do in class is to fucking listen and learn. Of course, it's probably due to the average student's inability to do either in a non-obnoxious, gossipy, feral format that has given rise to the average teacher's tendency to employ these irritating methods.

I've gotten to the point where I can kinna tolerate it. I'll work in a group now and then, fine.

But this teacher actually wanted to assign everyone a partner for the whole semester with whom we're required to work with on the final project.

No thank you. I can take this class just as easily next semester. With a different teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment