Monday, April 26, 2004

No entry yesterday. Why? I could tell you, but I fear for the resulting damage to the fabric of InterConscious.

Hung out with Trisa yesterday--we saw Kill Bill vol 2--second time for me and I found I liked it even more. Before that, Trisa gave me a birthday present--the entire Neverwhere television series. I was very happy to receive it but I enjoyed the first couple episodes a lot more than I thought I would.

Also watched The Band Wagon, which was mostly disappointing. The credits at the beginning had gotten my hopes up; starring Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, directed by Arthur Freed and Vincent Minnelli. But it ended up being a misguided attempt at infusing more modern sensibilities with the old musical about a misguided attempt at infusing more modern sensibilities with the old musical. But it did have some nice dance numbers--it's impossible, really, for Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse to not have good dance numbers together.

The ending segment was an attempt to do a film noir dance scene, which mostly didn't work, but at one moment piqued my interest when Astaire had a dance/fight scene. And I was reminded of how Roger Ebert refers to Jackie Chan as a modern Fred Astaire. I think the audience's current interest in acrobatic fights scenes in movies like Kill Bill and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon could be a way of fulfilling the need they once had for elaborate and astounding dance sequences. I think Fred Astaire would have made a great action star.

Meanwhile, Poppy Z. Brite seems to feel exactly as I did about Mark Romanick's One Hour Photo (minor spoilers if you follow the link). Although I would have mentioned the misuse of the Neon Genesis Evangelion action figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment