Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A massive headache that came from nowhere (except possibly the soy corn dogs, perpetual cup of coffee, and the mysterious Japanese iced tea) made me somewhat less than useful last night for working on my project. Fortunately, I got a leg up on it to-day when I showed up early for class and wrote a bit in my notebook.

The gorgon I mentioned showed up a lot sooner than I expected. It's the first character who's going to be in the comic who's shown up in the history, which is exciting. For me, anyway. I decided she's going to be a half-gorgon, though, instead of doing some wishy-washy take on mythology that says gorgons can turn their stone-making ability on and off. I'm not sure how it'll work yet with the half-gorgon, but I don't want it to be entirely voluntary.

"But, wait!" you may now be saying. "If your gorgons turn to stone any human who looks at them, then how did the half-gorgon's parents, you know. Snake up the head?" Well, I didn't say the other half was human, now, did I?

I was somewhat disappointed that there was no class discussion to-day about The Rape of the Lock and Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal (the other assigned reading). Instead, the whole class went across campus to watch readings of student plays, all of which were terrible. From the play about a guy who's in a new relationship, to the one about . . . gods, I have to stop, it's too depressing. It reminded me of when I was an editor on the school literary magazine. I don't really want to get into details. But so many of these works . . . if I had one thing to say to these authors, one message I'd very earnestly hope they'd take to heart, it would be, "THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN THAT."

No comments:

Post a Comment