Monday, October 20, 2008

"All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people."

The new Amanda Palmer album is reminding me of Taxi Driver, I meant to mention. They both seem largely concerned with a character's dissatisfaction with the world, a dissatisfaction that is at times irrational due to the person's self-imposed remoteness from society. Both pieces also deal with feelings of ineffectuality and loneliness. "Loneliness has followed me my whole life," Travis says at one point. I'm always reminded then of how little this mindset has to do with the actual circumstances of the character's life and how much it has to do with his own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment