Thursday, October 30, 2008

Normally Hayate no Gotoku parodies a variety of different manga and anime series and I was surprised to find the episode I watched this morning contained a reference to the short Sherlock Holmes story "The Speckled Band" and a reference to Dick Cheney shooting someone in the face. It's strange when American politics pops up in Japanese television. I suppose Cheney shooting someone in the face must be one of the strongest impressions someone living in a foreign country might have of American politics.

I also watched a bit of Monty Python and the Holy Grail while eating, and for some reason when The Knight Who Says Ni tells Arthur to cut down a tree with a herring, I decided to look up "herring" in Wikipedia. Wikipedia said, "Herrings are focus of many jokes as a result of a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the Knights who say Ni ask King Arthur to 'cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with ... a herring!'" Life seems to be about odd loops and reflections so far to-day.

There's something wrong with that sentence, isn't there? I shall fix Wikipedia . . .

"Herrings are the focus of many jokes as a result of a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the Knights who say Ni ask King Arthur to 'cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with ... a herring!'"

There. I am a Wikipedia hero. Setsuled the Wikipedia Editor. Like Joe the Plumber or Roger the Shrubber or Howard the Duck. Will the (name) the (occupation) jokes ever run their course? Not until the coming of Rob the Killjoy, perhaps.

Can you believe I'm actually considering doing NaNoWriMo? I just want to breathe work, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment