Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm going to try to dedicate the bulk of the day to my current project. This thing's getting big and multi-tentacled.

I've really been enjoying The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier. I was a bit surprised to find it mostly prose, generally imitations of other writers. I'm right now in the middle of a section modelled after Jack Kerouac, which is incredibly strange. But it makes sense that Dean Moriarty would be a descendant of Professor James Moriarty, and that Dr. Sax, Kerouac's creation, would be in league with beings from Yuggoth.

My favourite section so far, though, is the Jeeves and Wooster section, which featured things like, "I tossed and turned all night, wracked with a strong yet inexplicable conviction that my room's geometry was somehow faulty, even though if I'm entirely honest I'm not sure exactly which one's algebra and which one's geometry. If I'm wrong and geometry's the one with all the letters, then I mean that my room's algebra was wrong." I can't remember the last time a book's made me laugh this much. I can't imagine how great this book would be if I was familiar with all of Moore's references.

No comments:

Post a Comment