Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I've been keeping two pennies balanced vertically on my desk next to me for about a week now. One of them seems to fall over more than the other. I hope this isn't something I'm going to get superstitious about.

Well, there's already been a lot to to-day, and it's only 4:37. I woke up at 1:45 to catch another geisha show in which Leslie, one of the people I play chess with in Second Life, was participating. Three geishas told three Japanese folk tales, one of which was about Yuki-Onna, which was very cool. But I had a hard time concentrating without breakfast and coffee.

Then, I discovered the final episode of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei had finally been subtitled by a funsub group called Volans, who'd done the previous five or so episodes as well. Apparently, although the show is extremely popular, few groups want to tackle the especially difficult job of translating it. Aside from the volumes of throwaway information written in the background on blackboards and signs, there's also a lot of idiosyncratically Japanese dialogue.

The episode was pretty good. I'd post it, but of course it's not on YouTube yet. However, its opening and ending themes are, albeit without subtitles, and I want you to dig this ending theme which is an extremely wonderful (if inexplicable) homage to Hellboy done in the style of Mike Mignola's comics--not in the style of the animated movies. Remember how I was pointing out the average anime series looks better than the Hellboy animated movies? Well, behold my correctness. This is how it's done;



The mead was pretty good last night. I drank the entire bottle, heating most of it on the stove and steeping in it the spices it came with (cinnamon and orange fragments among other things). It gave me a bit of a stomach ache, as I find weak alcohol often does (it was only 11% alcohol). But tasted wonderful, a lot like hot apple cider, which, actually, also often gives me a stomach ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment