Sunday, January 10, 2010

Plastic Majesty

Last night's tweets;

Fighting after death prolongs jukebox songs.
Think how a dead chairman administrates.
Dancing supermen right musical wrongs.
Rare men survive without carbohydrates.


I think Rolethir would like Avatar. I think Venia would find it depressing, Wircelia would be distracted, Kakeshya would hate it, and Wuvou would be bored. In case you're wondering.

Putting dishes away to-day, I put the television on The Science Fiction Channel and caught part of Uwe Boll's In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale. Maybe the fact that he's an independent filmmaker explains all the goods actors in this movie. I actually would like to see a medieval fantasy film with Jason Statham, Ron Perlman, and John Rhys-Davies. I could even see myself coming around to liking Ray Liotta in such a movie, though when he was on screen I couldn't help hearing, "Kar-en! Why did you do that Karen?! That was all we had! Kar-en! Why did you do that?!" Don't think I could ever sincerely dig King Burt Reynolds, though.

The movie has some amazingly dull character conflicts sprinkled with some lame humour. I'm probably not surprising anyone with that statement.

I watched the newest episode of Dollhouse with breakfast to-day. A really good episode after a couple of really lousy ones, and it didn't take long to figure out why--this one was written and directed by Tim Minear and the previous several had mostly been under the command of team Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed Whedon, and Andrew Chambliss, who look to be in charge of Dollhouse from now on, until the end. Jed's Joss' brother, by the way. I guess this is one of the signs of the series' distance from Joss' heart.

I used to think of Tim Minear as one of Firefly's weaker writers, but he's an oasis in the desert of Dollhouse' death throes now, this episode particularly good for it's references to "Epitaph 1", and I am excited that they've decided to keep this as all part of one timeline. But the linchpin of this episode was Summer Glau. Jeez, she makes you hurt in this episode. You fall for her right along with Topher, and her story makes everything else about the episode feel important. This is the best character she's played, lacking the poor planning of River and the limited scope of Cameron. I'd have liked a Bennett Halverson series.

No comments:

Post a Comment