Thursday, January 16, 2003

I actually saw daylight on Wednesday, thanks to my pager waking me up, vibrating across my desk, making noises at me like a killer whale giving a raspberry.

So I arose at the bright and early hour of 12pm. I soon discovered that Hershey the Dog was indeed sick and had puked a couple of times whilst we slept.

In fact, he's more than sick. My aunt took him to the emergency room whereupon she learned that Hershey has about two weeks to live. I believe it, too, listening to his high pitched hacking coughs even now.

I feel pretty bad--I've only known him for a few months but he seems really sweet. And my aunt's certainly attached to him.

All day I drove about as if I was seeing life through dusty cellophane. Was not feeling particularly motivated, feeling more along the lines of bleak and gloomy. Thinking about how afraid people are of meaning, and how I can't much blame them as the truth behind things seems like it's mostly pretty negative, whether it's what the leader of North Korea can actually pull off or the ultimately small pale nature of the goals towards which we're all moving towards.

One of those days, I guess, where everything feels really phoney. I didn't find solace from that pervasive gloom until I got to watching Blue Velvet again. And even though it made me feel guileless and a bit naive, Sandy's Robin Dream scene did something towards cheering me up a bit.

I also watched Eat Drink Man Woman with my aunt and wished China wasn't guilty of a number of human rights violations so I could go and live in that beautiful scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment