Friday, October 03, 2008

Very little to say to-day. Again, there's new Venia's Travels. To-day I think I'll draw and then voyage out into the world.

I don't think I mentioned watching the final episode of Code Geass, did I? It didn't make any sense. It was like the end of V for Vendetta hastily grafted onto the end of Hamlet. That actually doesn't sound so bad, does it? And really, I suppose it wasn't. Well, except I could've done without Lelouche's sister in inexplicable bondage gear and the convenience of his memories suddenly injected into her brain. Also the stupid parade floats and the "Zero Requiem" and . . . Well, at least CC was in it and still rocked.

I watched The Nightmare before Christmas last night for the first time since its original theatrical run. It's amazing how much bigger that movie's gotten than itself. And it's kind of weird viewing it through the prism of modern politics. Is Jack Skellington violating the Geneva Conventions by kidnapping a foreign head of state? I suppose I ought to let my brain breathe outside of the politics bowl now and then . . .

Roger Ebert on Sarah Palin's performance at the vice presidential debate; "You want to smile with her and wink back. But who did she resemble more? Marge Gunderson, whose peppy pleasantries masked a remorseless policewoman's logic? Or Jerry Lundegaard, who knew he didn't have the car on his lot, but smiled when he said, 'M'am, I been cooperatin' with ya here. ' Palin was persuasive. But I felt a brightness that was not always convincing."

No comments:

Post a Comment