Saturday, February 20, 2010

Different Ways of Eating

Last night's tweets;

Grey cats do not care about peppermint.
Animal minds push back the time for booze.
Ignore cans in fallout shelters you rent.
Scrambled eggs accumulate in drive-throughs.


I just heard one of the funniest fucking things I've heard in months. You may have heard about a recent Playboy interview with John Mayer where he said, "Someone asked me the other day, 'What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?' And by the way, it's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, 'I can't really have a hood pass. I've never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, "We're full. "'"

Of course, only an asshole would look at this statement and say, "Clearly, this guy's a racist." A reasonable person looks at most of what Mayer ever says and thinks, "Clearly, this guy's a self-absorbed douchebag." The statement barely makes any sense. But that was weeks ago, and Mayer apologised in a series of really hilarious, widely mocked, whiney tweets. I thought James Urbaniak's tweets mocking them were among the best. But that was all before I heard Mayer apologise onstage and saw that nothing could be funnier than raw Mayer;



It gets pretty boring halfway through, but fuck, wow. The guy starts crying. This isn't an I'm Sorry if I Offended Anyone. This is a I'm Sorry as Hell That Not Everyone In the World Wants to Lick My Anus.

This has been a great couple weeks for questionable sensitivity. I haven't even mentioned Sarah Palin--I guess most people have heard about her outrage over Family Guy mocking people with Down Syndrome. Seth MacFarlane talks about it in this clip from Bill Maher's show--the guy who used to have a show called Politically Incorrect back in the civil war era or some shit. Notice how MacFarlane doesn't start crying.

I don't have much to say about yesterday. I broke with my routine of taking Fridays off and spent a lot of yesterday inking and colouring, but I did go to Tim's and played some Oblivion. After dinner, I watched about forty minutes of a BBC production of Hamlet starring Derek Jacobi and Patrick Stewart (as Claudius). Great performances all around so far--I'd been looking forward to watching this since I saw this clip on YouTube. Jacobi really puts a lot of work into the performance. I find him a little over the top at times, but he comes off as very earnest. This could be the best production of Hamlet I've seen.

I also read more of War and Peace--the past two nights reading it has been to read Tolstoy's rather exciting and charming description of the Rostovs hunting a wolf, a fox, and a hare, ending with a picturesque evening in the home of small village's lord. There's such affection in the narrative for the atmosphere--it's easy to see Tolstoy's idea at this point was to give us a taste of the Russia everyone's been fighting and talking about at some remove in the earlier portions of the book. He pulls it off beautifully. This is the best tray of hors d'oervres I've ever heard of;

On the tray were various liqueurs, herb brandy, mushrooms, rye cakes made with buttermilk, honey in the comb, both still and sparkling mead, apples, raw and roasted nuts, and honey and nut confections.

No comments:

Post a Comment