Monday, February 25, 2008

I dreamt to-day that I was staying in an extremely large, spacious, labyrinthine mansion, a bit like Xanadu in Citizen Kane. There was an enormous basement complex under the house, always partially flooded--I think I may have been remembering one of the Addams Family movies, where there seemed to be a lake under the house. I think that was one of the Addams Family movies.

Anyway, there were living quarters down there, and I needed to get to one room that seemed much like a small hotel room with lots of my things piled in there. There was a small doll with black hair I needed to find.

It was pitch black in the basement, and I knew there was a black bear roaming about in the shallow water. But I wasn't afraid of the animal; I knew somehow that I needed only to scratch him behind the ears, and he'd let me by--and so it was. The bedroom I needed to reach was just beyond another room where, behind its closed door, there was a noisy ogre. I reached my destination without any trouble from him, though.

The bedroom was very brightly lit, or at least it seemed that way after the dark basement. I think it was actually only average room lighting.

There was a television in a brown armoire against the wall, and a big pile of my personal belongings on the bed. I found the doll I was looking for in one of the armoire's drawers, as well as two other dolls. The doll I was looking for had black hair, one of the others had lavender hair and a faded red vest, and I don't remember what the third looked like. I put the black haired doll in my coat pocket and left, wondering if something would prevent me from leaving the basement. I woke up before I found out.

I didn't get nearly as much done yesterday as I wanted to. Well, I hadn't planned on getting much done, what with the Oscars, but I still wanted to get things done. I'll try to do better to-day (er, to-night).

I'm starting to feel defensive about Enchanted. I need to remind myself that I only found the movie mildly enjoyable. My original review from December 21;

I was Christmas shopping at Fashion Valley mall on Sunday, and for some reason decided to see Enchanted. It had gotten pretty much universally good reviews, and maybe I was in the mood for something light-hearted.

I was a little surprised by how much the animated opening sequence made me miss the heyday of animated Disney films. Those folks really need to remember how to play to their strengths. Anyway, the movie wasn't entirely tongue-in-cheek, Shrek-ish humour. It was more like the filmmakers used what has become the standard ironic mode to tell a sincere story. Which I suppose is a new reflection of this emotionally dysfunctional society.

The movie broke down pretty much as I expected; dreamy Disney princess believes in love at first sight, while Real Guy is a cynical divorce lawyer, and by the end they meet each other halfway to fall in love; Giselle (the princess) learns to get to know someone before she gets married, and Robert (the lawyer) learns to believe in love again. It's probably a lucky thing I wasn't in charge of the movie as Giselle would probably have ended up institutionalised while Robert became a dictator of a third world country or something.

But I did enjoy the movie. It was actually good, Disney fun, and Amy Adams was fantastic, in every sense of the word.


It really wasn't Oscar calibre. It was just enjoyable. Honest--I'm not an evil shrinking violet. Really.

Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment