Monday, January 05, 2009

Visual Conduits

I registered for Comic-Con 2009 on Saturday. So it begins.

I think my dream now would be to visit Comiket. It occurs to me that what I do kind of qualifies as dojinshi and it seems like there's a much bigger demand for it in Japan. If only my Japanese were a little better . . .

I saw at Parkway Plaza mall on Saturday that the local comic book store, Comics 'N Stuff, has appeared again, this time in a much better location, across from the movie theatre and next to the Game Stop. I hope they can stick around longer this time, but I noticed they're selling hardly any comic books now. The twenty-four page issue style is relegated to half a wall, and the rest of the store is dominated by anime soundtrack CDs, figurines, action figures, dolls, posters, and wall scrolls--there was a nice looking Rei and Asuka from Evangelion wall scroll. It was sad to note the Borders at the same mall had a much better selection of comics.

I was at the mall with Tim mainly because I was interested in buying a new DVD-ROM--a twenty five dollar Samsung that Tim had recommended and which I didn't find. I eventually ordered it to-day from New Egg, but not before checking Fry's to-day, an adventure that involved me going outside in the daytime. This would be the first time I've been in direct sunlight in more than a week--to-day I got myself up bright and early at 1:30 in the afternoon. It feels like it's time. Partly to get an early start on the Comic-Con schedule, and partly because my sister's Christmas present to me was a trip to Disneyland. I haven't been there since high school, before which I'd gone there with my family almost yearly. I've been jonsing for it.

The opening themes for Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei are becoming increasingly disturbed;



I downloaded the second one almost a month ago, but I haven't really been able to watch it because the group who fansubbed it, GG, are notoriously lousy at encoding. The sound got all out of sync in Media Player Classic, and when I tried it to-day in VideoLan, the thing just crashed about two thirds in. Tim tells me this is because GG are primarily Mac users, which means they've only learned to code within Apple's fantasy parameters. Which basically means that, although the video quality isn't any better than the average half hour of fansubbed anime, the file's three times the size and about a third as efficient with the computer's resources. But it's the kind of thing you can't tell Mac users--the Kool-Aid runs too deep.

Arina told me about a site a while ago that shows anime series like hulu. I probably ought to find that site again if I want to keep watching these Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OVAs in a timely fashion.

Anyone want some official Venia's Travels LJ Icons?





No comments:

Post a Comment