Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's Your Egg?

I am currently about fifteen hours into the worst hangover I've ever had. I actually don't normally get any sort of hangovers beyond a mild stomach ache. But yesterday, my mother was throwing an inauguration party and I made martinis in enormous glasses with the wonderful Bombay Sapphire gin. And I'd determined the last one I'd made on Saturday had just had a bit too much vermouth to compliment such a fine, fine gin.

I became sensationally sloshed. My sister and I watched a couple episodes of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series, including one of my favourites from the second season, "The Musgrave Ritual", and I remember explaining to my sister about how, "Oliver Cromwell executed Charles I and he wasn't a king but a puritan and they hated decadence and stuff and then in 1776 there was democracy and Barrack Obama became president."

I felt like I was on a unicycle when I walked home. It wasn't until I'd finished my dinner of cous cous and the season one finale of Battlestar Galactica that I began to feel The Effects.

I thought for sure I was going to throw up, but I didn't. I sort of wished I would--I felt like that would get me past a certain stage and on the road to wellness. My head was hurting too, even after lots of green tea, chai tea, and water. Or maybe that all made it worse.

I'd really like to try a prairie oyster, though I sincerely doubt I could break open an egg without breaking the yolk. I wonder about what an artist's relationship with eggs says about him or her. Paul McCartney was on Howard Stern last week and he mentioned how he couldn't go vegan because he loved scrambled eggs. And I remembered his original title for "Yesterday" was "Scrambled Eggs".

Meanwhile, in the DVD commentary for To Catch a Thief, Peter Bogdanovich talked about how Alfred Hitchcock found eggs to be disgusting while, on screen, Jessie Royce Landis, the mother character in the film, stabbed some sunny side up eggs with a cigarette. I see Paul McCartney's mother was a midwife--I'm wondering if fondness for eggs is related to someone's relationship with his or her mother. I wonder what Hitchcock would make of Eve from Wall-E.

I liked the season one finale of Battlestar Galactica okay. I was seriously pondering the recap at the beginning of the first half of the two parter, though. I've noticed a lot of shows tend to loop in extra dialogue into their recaps for the sake of better efficiency, but I found myself questioning a particular piece of added dialogue, which had Sharon telling Helo directly that she's a Cylon. This helps somewhat to clarify why Helo seemed so certain she was one in the previous episode when he saw another Sharon Cylon model. Why didn't he consider the possibility that the Sharon he was with was a "real" Sharon that the Cylons had cloned?

Of course, some problems arise when one considers how unlikely it is that Sharon would simply tell Helo plainly at that time that she was a Cylon. And also one must consider the possibility of these episodes being watched without their recaps. It can't be done in this circumstance, which means the recaps are actually part of the episode . . .

You know what, my head hurts. I will work on my comic now.

No comments:

Post a Comment