Monday, November 10, 2008



I didn't mention watching the new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, did I? The fansub finally came out, which was good since in raw form it easily surpassed my limited grasp of Japanese (actually, it often took a very long time for episodes to be fansubbed and the show was often kicked from group to group for the particular difficulty of translating the show). It's an OVA, Original Video Animation, which, for those who don't know, are usually 30 minute episodes released directly to video, often with slightly higher production values and material too racy for regular television.

The particular episode was like a decent episode of the series, though it could never live up to the expectation generated by such a long wait. In any case, it was nice seeing the show again.

I was just at my parents' house again this evening and my sister told me about someone she knows who claimed to be bisexual despite voting yes on Proposition 8. The girl's reasoning was that she didn't want gay marriage taught in schools. This is one of those things that make it powerfully difficult to avoid becoming cynical. One can point to religion as being an obvious set of false rationalisations infecting thought processes to bring people to irrational conclusions and actions, but what about all the other threads of delusion? Could you make this shit up? I guess she wanted to be bisexual because it's trendy and is also homophobic because homophobia is also trendy? Here's the sort of person who listens to "I Kissed a Girl". You know what she needs? Three months of disaster training.

In the pile of big drawings I got back the other day, there were also three framed Star Wars posters that hung on my wall when I was a teenager. They're copies of the original posters from each film of the original trilogy's first theatrical run. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Star Wars was holy enough to have framed posters of. A lot of people are grumbling about the loss of Star Wars through the recent follies of George Lucas. I haven't seen the new cgi Clone Wars series, I doubt I shall. But I'm not giving up the ghost, no. May the motherfucking Force be with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment