Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Heart's Slinky Down the Stairwells of Aircraft Carriers

Twitter Sonnet #5

A slope shouldered man was young Bill Murray.
I pwned at parallel parking to-night.
Lately I don't feel much need for hurry.
But I want my manoeuvres to be tight.
Nicholas Cage has quite a long, sad face.
I see in cold mall lots, kid culture thrives.
Does buying bobbins have to be a race?
Kids quickly clump up in twos, threes, and fives.
I remembered too late to eat dinner.
Oddly dead was Denny's for Saturday.
For efficient sloth I am a winner.
I want to watch more decent anime.
I can't change my profile picture right now.
I guess this one's not so bad anyhow.


I added a bunch of people to my follow list on Twitter yesterday. Mostly I find them by looking at the follow lists of people I'm already following, though that's not always a sure-fire way to tell if the twitter profiles I'm looking at are genuine--someone needs to tell Ana Marie Cox that she's not following the real Keith Olbermann.

I'm still trying to decide if this Matt Chamberlain is the Matt Chamberlain who's been a drummer for David Bowie, Morrissey, Tori Amos, and many others. It doesn't look like he ever updates, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but if it is the same Chamberlain, it seems like he'd have potential for a lot of interesting tweets.

Every time I say or type twitter or tweet I feel like someone's grinding a lemon on my tongue, in case you're wondering.

I started following Russell Brand's twitter--the guy's really growing on me, especially after I heard him on The Howard Stern Show. Part 1 of the interview is here, but my favourite bit is at the beginning of part two (NSFW);



"A ticker-tape parade for nobody" is one of my favourite lines ever now.

Trying to think of what I wanted to do last night, I ended up Being Distracted. Every time I started to do one thing, I ended up dragging myself into another activity without even intending to. That's how I forgot to eat dinner until the wee hours. YouTube, in particular, is an insidious provocateur of mental detours. I ended up watching a bunch of "ghosts caught on camera" videos. I remember totally buying into these as a kid, so much so that they must have served the function of stories of the afterlife that satisfied children of older generations about death. I figure once I died I'd be spending eternity in some plain suburban American hallway in the form of double exposed footage or lens flares.

Now it seems American audiences are much too cynical for this sort of thing--modern shows like Ghost Hunters seem totally to lack commitment. The best new footage seems to be coming out of Japan and South Korea. What's sad is that it's not that people aren't as naive as they used to be, it's just that they're not as imaginative. People can only grasp normal folks dancing awkwardly with unskilled celebrities on Dancing with the Stars--a Fred Astaire would be meaningless to-day.

I started working on the next Venia's Travels script last night, and I got pretty far with it once I told myself it was time to stop and do something else. That's how you control your lousy attention span with The Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment