Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I've had a bottle of plum wine a couple days now I haven't opened yet. I suppose once I do open it, it'll be a race against time to drink it. Wine is so annoying.

Yesterday, I read Arnold Schwarzenegger's reaction to early footage from Terminator 4;

If [director McG] has the T4 and the kind of shots that has the audience thinking, 'Now how did he do that?' -- then it is 'Terminator' and you can blow everyone away and every record at the box office.

I've seen very little footage so I don't really have a feel for it. I hope they do well, and I hope it is a huge hit. I do hope it creates a spectacle on the screen. That is what James Cameron created.


Here's my impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger talking about a burrito;

"If [my personal chef] Hector has the burrito and the kind of tortillas and extra ingredients that has me thinking, 'Now, what's in this thing?' -- then it is a burrito and he can blow me away and every burrito he's ever made."

There's such an exquisite vapidity about Arnold's reaction to the movie, I want to capture it. It's like the perfect alchemy of a body builder whose ego's been spoonfed at every moment for the past twenty years and a politician's empty power statements. Let me see if I can riff out from here;

"A burrito has the beans and everyone loves it. But if he knows what he's doing, then Hector can make something and we'll all give it four stars. I don't know what he plans on doing, but he has the chance, and if he takes it and really goes for it, I think he's going to do all right, and I hope he does."

I think the key is a layer of happy redundancy. It's sort of fatherly, like he's consoling or congratulating a son or daughter he's been pretending to know for years.

"When you studied and passed elementary school, you really did it, and if you do it again, you can have a real success in high school and get every A."

I don't know why these things amuse me so much. Except thinking about Schwarzenegger is sort of like watching the grey planet at the beginning of Eraserhead with that hollow wind sound David Lynch loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment