Sunday, August 03, 2008

Saturday night of the Comic-Con, I met the woman who used to run the convention on my way home on the trolley. She told me and a cute girl dressed as a Japanese video game character about how stressful it had been, and how she had to get out of it before she lost her mind.

She answered her cell phone then and I talked to the cute girl a long time about Japanese fashion and art. The whole encounter was a sort of preface for my Sunday at the Con, which I spent actually talking to people. Mostly I just went from booth to booth, talking to various comic book writers and artists. At the Slave Labour booth, I talked to two comics creators, including Neil Kleid, who gave me a copy of issue 1 of his series Ursa Minors!, which I haven't had time to read yet. I continued along the booth and found myself face to face with a glaring Jhonen Vasquez, and I realised I'd pretty much cut in line, so I backed up. I saw that there was actually only around thirty people queued up for him, though, which I found a little surprising. Though, come to think of it, I haven't heard about anything new coming from him lately. I mean, it's been years, hasn't it?

Even sadder, though, was the sight of big Lou Ferrigno by the entrance, with no line at all for his autograph. He was shorter than I'd have expected.

I suppose I could've tried to catch Dave Gibbons' panel or the Fraggle Rock panel where Red was scheduled to appear. But I guess I'd seen enough.

I guess that's all I've got to say about the 2008 Comic-Con. I think there are probably a million details I forgot to mention, though. Maybe I'll take notes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment