Sunday, September 21, 2008

Exhausted, again. I still have so much to do. I hope I survive this week. This is exactly like chapter 2 of Boschen and Nesuko, though. Actually, that was worse. The same family was in town that I had to spend time with, but Boschen and Nesuko chapter 2 was a much more detailed chapter than what I'm working on now. On the other hand, I have much higher standards for myself now.

I was at Tim's house a couple days ago when he was listening to Chevy Chase on The Howard Stern Show reminiscing about his life and career. Stern asked him about a rumoured feud between him and Bill Murray and Chase told a story about the old days of Saturday Night Live I found sort of fascinating. He said he'd come back to the show to host a little while after he'd left the regular cast and that Murray, who'd replaced him at Weekend Update, had been somewhat poisoned against Chase by John Belushi. According to Chase, Belushi had always been jealous of him because Belushi considered himself more talented than Chase while Chase became a much bigger star--a jealousy, Chase said, Belushi may well have been entirely justified in feeling.

Chase wouldn't say what Murray had said to him at the time, but apparently it was a glance from Belushi that caused Chase to decide the discord between them was entirely due to misinformation from Belushi. Chase and Murray almost got into a fist fight, and Chase said that Murray used to get into a lot of fights back in the day and said part of Murray's effectiveness as a comedian was the underlying element of danger always present. I must say, I've never looked at it that way before--I've always thought there was something indefinable about Murray's technique that wonderfully colours seemingly otherwise flat line deliveries. I think, if anything, I might have described it as a gentleness.

Of course, if Chase could say Belushi had made up things about him, it's just as likely Chase is making shit up about Belushi and Murray. Anyway, it seemed Chase didn't have any trouble working with Murray on Caddyshack.

I'd better get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment