Friday, September 05, 2008

Here's something to make you angry--the Republican National Convention's 9/11 "Tribute" video. Ham handed falls short of describing this. This is a freight train of ham dick slamming into a tunnel of love. Keith Olbermann's appalled reaction reminds me of why I love him.

Starting off with the Iranian hostage crisis and segueing into 9/11 with the clear implication that these two events were perpetrated by the same enemy, the video is gratuitously and unabashedly racist, zealous propaganda. But let's take a moment to think about why exists, shall we?

The video shamelessly deploys images of the World Trade Centre from 9/11 to evoke the fear and sadness of that day, drumming up these emotions so that they can be funnelled into the Right's preconceived notions about the dynamic between the United States and foreigners. Like I was saying about myself a couple days ago, blowing things out of proportion to make them less cruel, to fit things into seemingly manageable vessels. So I can understand this craziness.

I think the Left often makes the mistake of writing off the murderous impulses of the Right as being something alien. I wrote a story about this subliminal dialogue last year called "June Too Late". I read it to-day for the first time since last year, and time has made me a lot prouder of it than I was then.

In case you missed it, there's a new Venia's Travels online to-day. I'm done drawing to-day, so I think I'll go over Tim's and beat up some demon martial artists . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment